[UPDATE: 0712/2018]: Fortnite Season 5 is now live! The new season kicked off at 4am ET this morning, and Epic Games released an Announcement Trailer to get the hype started:
This is a larger patch than usual, bringing in a plethora of weapon and item updates, map changes, and even gameplay changes, such as gyro controls on Nintendo Switch. Below provides a changes directly from Epic Games containing adjustments to Gameplay, Weapons and Items. For the full list of notes, head on over to Epic Games’ website:
WEAPONS + ITEMS
- Shotguns will now indicate how many pellets hit, visible within the reticle.
- Adjusted shotgun spread patterns to be consistent with no random variation.
- Heavy Shotgun now fires 10 pellets rather than 5.
- Maximum damage for the Heavy Shotgun remains unchanged.
- After firing a shotgun, another shotgun cannot be fired for a very short time.
- Reduced Hunting Rifle aim assist when targeting to match that of other Sniper Rifles with projectile bullets.
- Lowered the vehicle knockback strength on Grenade, Sticky Grenade, Grenade Launcher, and Rocket Launcher.
- Tac and Silenced SMG environmental damage now correctly matches player damage.
- Changed the damage drop-off profile for the Suppressed SMG to be the same as other SMGs.
- Fall off starts at 24 meters from 28 meters.
- Damage reduced to 80% at 35 meters from 85% at 47.5 meters.
- Damage reduced to 65% at 50+ meters from 75% at 70+ meters.
- All Terrain Kart (ATK)
- The new All Terrain Kart (ATK) has room for your entire squad.
- Get a speed boost after drifting.
- The roof acts as a bounce pad.
- Work together as rear passengers to leap over obstacles with the All Terrain Kart (ATK). Lean back and release at the same time for a higher jump.
- Lean back by holding S on keyboards or holding back on the thumbstick for controllers.
- Map Updated
- New Biome: Desert
- New Location: Paradise Palms
- New Location: Lazy Links
- A few unnamed POIs have also appeared across the island.
- Minimap Updated
- The center of Storm circles 7, 8, and 9 can now shift in random directions (instead of simply shrinking). As the storm closes in, it will move & shrink to the new location.
- Starting in Season 5, progressive challenges will no longer be restricted to a single season. You can now complete progressive challenges at your own pace.
- Progressive challenges are now completed by acquiring a fixed amount of XP and is no longer dependant on your season level.
- Gyro/motion controls have been added to the Nintendo Switch. Adjust these options in the Settings menu.
- Weekly challenges are now split into two sections, free and Battle Pass. The first 3 challenges will be available for free while the last 4 are only available if you own the Battle Pass. The threshold to unlock the weekly challenge reward will remain at 4.
- Down But Not Out players now have smaller collision. Previously their collision was at the standing height which blocked DBNO players from crawling under doors and blocked building collision in some cases.
- Players that were crouching when knocked Down But Not Out will be returned to a crouching state upon revival.
- Emoting will now interrupt sprinting.
- You now earn XP for reviving teammates in 50v50 and Teams of 20 LTMs up to three times per match (30XP, 10XP, 10XP).
- Weapon reticle will now fade slightly when reloading, out of ammo, or changing weapons.
- The player camera can now see out of the water when walking in lakes.
Get ready! As the game’s rifts continue to grow, Fortnite’s latest season is scheduled to kick off Thursday, July 12th at 4am ET. This occurs just one day after Season 4 ends, so you better finish up your current tasks before everything wraps up. We suspect to receive some sort of explanation of the rifts during this time, but Epic has been doing a great job keeping everyone guessing.
For anyone out there who still hasn’t given this game a try, it is now easier than ever to play. With the game out on every current console, mobile device, and most recently, Nintendo Switch, the new season may be a great time to hop into the chaos.
Nintendo Switch Announcement Trailer:
Admittedly, I’ve only played a handful of rounds. Though I see the appeal of Fortnite, it never quite clicked with me as it has so many other people. That said, I’ve only played a handful of rounds, so I’m sure I could get that Fortnite itch if I sunk some more time into it. Maybe Season 5 will be the best time to start.
How about you? Are you excited for the latest season? Have you been following all of the mysterious events along the way? Let us know in the comments below!